[BLML] L16B2 [SEC=UNOFFICIAL]

Robert Frick rfrick at rfrick.info
Wed Feb 13 02:25:37 CET 2013

On Tue, 12 Feb 2013 00:19:22 -0500, Richard HILLS
<richard.hills at immi.gov.au> wrote:

> UNOFFICIAL

> A typical ACBL player wrote:
>
>>> You snipped the explanation of why this is a good thing to do.
>
> A typical ACBL player's snipped explanation:

> In a parallel thread atypical ACBL player Ed Reppert wrote:
>
>> ..;...
>> 3. 'Not fond of it' is not a valid reasoning for not making a ruling.
>
> Richard Hills:
>
> Nor is it a valid reason for unnecessarily annoying the opponents.
>
> A typical ACBL player wrote:
>
>> As far as I know, this is ACBL procedure.
>
> Richard Hills:
>
> I know for sure that this is an optional ACBL procedure, NOT a
> mandatory ACBL procedure, to take an action which unnecessarily
> annoys the opponents.
>
> Law 16B2:

> he may [failure to do so is not wrong] announce, unless prohibited
> by the Regulating Authority (which may require that the Director
> be called)
>
> Richard Hills:
>
> See the Elections at the end of the ACBL Lawbook, whereby the
> ACBL Laws Commission declined to mandate a Director call.

It is very clever to change what I say and then argue that it is wrong. It
takes straw-man arguments to a whole new level. I said I note the
hesitation (not call the director). That seems to be ACBL policy. The
policy advises players to do that, it does not mandate it.

This is an interesting issue. If there was some easy answer, people would
have adopted it. For example...

If I am called at the time of the hesitation, I sometimes explain to a
newer player that his partner probably has hesitated, this hesitation
shows values. If he is going to pass, there is no problem. He can bid if
he is reasonably certain that most people will make the same bid with his
hand. (There are different ways of stating the last sentence.)

Obviously, this is way too much bridge advice for a typical director
ruling. But the reality is, the player deserves to know all of it, both
morally, practically, and legally.

The need for this information is a good reason for players to call the
director immediately -- they should call when their opponents seem to lack
knowledge about what is happening legally.

Bob