[BLML] EBU Director exam 2009 question 8 [SEC=UNOFFICIAL]

Richard HILLS richard.hills at immi.gov.au
Fri Feb 8 01:08:29 CET 2013

UNOFFICIAL

Larry:

>Now then...who thought that RH would post a trivial problem?

Richard:

The exam setter thought it trivially unnecessary to refer to
Ton's commentary on the 2007 Law 25 when posing this
question, so if the Chair of the WBF Laws Committee was
sitting this exam he would be awarded Zero (Nix, Nought,
Nothing) marks for his answer.

Larry:

>The mentioning of 2H [Sorrrrrrrrrrrrrrry...mentioning of 2D
>(haven't had 2nd coffee yet.] is serpently UI at this stage but
>does it constitute a call? That is the crux.

Richard:

The play Law 45C4(a) states:

"A card must be played if a player names or otherwise designates
it as the card he proposes to play."

but there is not as such any parallel auction Law which states:

"A call must be chosen if a player names or otherwise designates
it as the call she proposes to make."

Monty Python's Flying Circus:

Customer: Uuuuuh, Wensleydale.
Owner: Yes?
Customer: Ah, well, I'll have some of that!
Owner: Oh! I thought you were talking to me, sir. Mister
Wensleydale, that's my name.
Customer: (pause) Greek Feta?
Owner: Uh, not as such.
Customer: It's not much of a cheese shop, is it?
Owner: Finest in the district!
Customer: (annoyed) Explain the logic underlying that
conclusion, please.
Owner: Well, it's so clean, sir!
Customer: It's certainly uncontaminated by cheese....

UNOFFICIAL