[BLML] EBU Director exam 2009 question 8

Eric Landau ehaa at starpower.net
Thu Feb 7 17:21:57 CET 2013

On Feb 7, 2013, at 9:26 AM, Robert Frick <rfrick at rfrick.info> wrote:

> On Thu, 07 Feb 2013 08:22:59 -0500, Sven Pran <svenpran at online.no> wrote:
>
>> And what if he just bids 2D anyway? (before TD arrives if that makes any
>> difference)
>
> Or after?
>
> As I understand it, if he asks the director if he can change his call, the
> answer is no. But if then does it anyway, wouldn't L25B1 apply?

We can't make our rulings dependent on trivial semantic quibbles.  It is absurd to argue that, "I change my bid to 2D!" versus "May I change my bid to 2D?" should produce opposite rulings.  We either apply L25B1 to the situation or we don't, regardless of how (politely) the player phrased his intention.

I would argue that we should apply L25B1 in these cases, on the general principle that a non-offender shouldn't lose options by calling the director.

Eric Landau
1107 Dale Drive
Silver Spring MD 20910