[BLML] False cards versus psychs

Robert Frick rfrick at rfrick.info
Sun Sep 30 16:30:39 CEST 2012

On Sun, 30 Sep 2012 00:16:53 -0400, Marvin French <mfrench1 at san.rr.com>
wrote:

> Subject: [BLML] False cards versus psychs
>

>> On 2012-09-28 5:18 AM, Alain Gottcheiner wrote:
>>> you're allowed to take into
>>> account whether partner falsecards often or not, although this is not
>>> allowed for psyches,
>
> Steve Willner:
>>
>> I am astonished by this.  Why is there a legal difference between the
>> two cases?  I agree that there's a practical difference in some
>> jurisdictions, but I don't see any foundation for it in the Laws.
>
> I agree entirely. Psychs and falsecards are completely analagous. Only
> when
> players take an unfair advantage because of a partnership understanding
> (explicit or implicit) are they subject to disciplinary measures.

To me, the key distinction *should be* whether the player is trying to
make an intelligent play or the player is just trying to throw a monkey
wrench in the auction (or play).

We have one player who consistently misbids his hand. Let's say about 30%
of the time. It is a constant source of irritation to everyone at the
club, because it ruins the game of bridge. But he has learned to stay
within the ACBL boundaries (e.g., playing 8-16 HCP overcalls, he
overcalled with Jxxxx of hearts and a bad 7 HCP.)