[BLML] 2017 Law 40 Executive Summary [SEC=UNOFFICIAL]

richard.hills at immi.gov.au richard.hills at immi.gov.au
Wed Sep 26 07:24:35 CEST 2012

Petter Naessan, key sentences:

>>The crux of the matter is that bullshitters hide their
>>lack of commitment to truth. Since bullshitters
>>ignore truth instead of acknowledging and
>>subverting it, bullshit is a greater enemy of truth
>>than lies.

Ed Reppert, further key sentences:

>This is the fundamental flaw in your entire
>approach. Bluntly, it's bullshit. And so is making up
>your own laws. Either rule per the lawbook, or tear
>up your director's card. If you can't figure out how
>to rule per the lawbook, seek expert guidance. If
>after that you *still* don't get it, tear up your
>director's card.

2007 Laws of Duplicate Bridge, more key sentences:

Law 81B2
The Director applies, and is bound by, these Laws
and supplementary regulations announced under
authority given in these Laws.

Law 81C2
The Director’s duties and powers normally include
also the following: to administer and interpret these
Laws and to advise the players of their rights and
responsibilities thereunder.

Richard Hills:

A blml pseudo-Director chooses to "ignore truth
instead of acknowledging and subverting it" by
arguing that a Director who carefully interprets
the Lawbook (under Law 81C2) is in fact "making
up [their] own laws" (prohibited by Law 81B2).

So yes, I agree with Ed Reppert that that pseudo-
Director should "tear up [his] director's card".

What's the problem?

Douglas Adams:

...a problem, which was this: most of the people
living on it were unhappy for pretty much all of
the time. Many solutions were suggested for this
problem, but most of these were largely
concerned with the movement of small green
pieces of paper, which was odd because on the
whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper
that were unhappy.