[BLML] Walks like a duck and miaows like a cat [SEC=UNOFFICIAL]

Alain Gottcheiner agot at ulb.ac.be
Fri Sep 21 11:38:12 CEST 2012

Le 21/09/2012 1:24, richard.hills at immi.gov.au a écrit :

> The late Alan LeBendig, May 1996:
>
> [snip]
> >>we are going to adjust. We in no way
> >>suggest what that source was. We don't
> >>have to determine that to apply this
> >>Law [now the 2007 Law 16C, Extraneous
> >>Information from Other Sources].
> [snip]
>
> Jean-Pierre Rocafort ("Law 25A" thread):
>
> [snip]
> >always dangerous to prescribe automatic
> >procedures in cases involving judgement.
> >jpr
>
> Richard Hills:
>
> Yes, assuming that a player's loony (but
> successful) leap to slam automatically
> means that that player has infracted Law
> 16C fails to take into account the weird
> player's many loony (but unsuccessful)
> leaps to slam on previous deals.
>
> For example:
>
> Imps
> Dlr: West
> Vul: East-West
>
> The bidding has gone:
>
> WEST......NORTH.....EAST......SOUTH
> Pass(1)...Pass(1)...1D (1)....2C (1)
> ?
>
> (1) Natural and non-conventional meaning
>
> You, weird West (a psychic Passer), hold:
>
> AJT3
> AKQJ972
> J6
> ---
>
> What call do you make?

AG : 6H. Since neither 2H not 3H would be forcing, I've painted myself
into a corner, as is often the case with psyches.
(I must remark that, as has been said in another thread, you'd be
hard-pressed to find players who agree with the previous pass, making
the poll near meaningless.)

> What other calls do you consider making?

AG : I could bid 3C, of course, but what would it achieve ? (except
perhaps find 7D when partner jumps to 6).