[BLML] Black (logic) wood [SEC=UNOFFICIAL]

richard.hills at immi.gov.au richard.hills at immi.gov.au
Tue Sep 11 08:13:26 CEST 2012

Eric Landau, March 2005:

>"Bridge logic alone" tells me that one should never
>bid Blackwood knowing so little about partner's
>hand that one cannot predict partner's response to
>within three key cards.

Richard Hills, March 2005:

In the 1971 Bermuda Bowl, keycard Blackwood had
not yet been invented, so participants used old-
fashioned Blackwood, in which a 5C response
showed zero or four aces. "Bridge logic alone" told a
French pair that the theoretically ambiguous 5C
response could never cause a real-life problem.

That French pair freely bid to 7H after using old-
fashioned Blackwood. Alas, 7H was doubled when
all four aces were offside.

And the French team was good enough to win the
Silver Medal that year.

:-)

Best wishes,

Richard Hills