[BLML] Tuesday night at the Belconnen Bridge Club [SEC=UNOFFICIAL]

Jerry Fusselman jfusselman at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 00:10:42 CET 2012

On Sun, Nov 18, 2012 at 4:42 PM, Robert Frick <rfrick at rfrick.info> wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Nov 2012 15:05:28 -0500, <richard.hills at immi.gov.au> wrote:
>

>> You are a semi-sponsor player partnering a semi-
>> professional player at a semi-social bridge club
>> for the first time. Your partnership's two-
>> minute system discussion resulted in an
>> agreement to play Aussie Acol with Benjy Twos.
>>
>> Matchpoint pairs
>> Dlr: North
>> Vul: All
>>
>> The bidding has gone:
>>
>> WEST......NORTH.....EAST......SOUTH
>> ---.......3NT(1)....???(2)
>>
>> (1) Undiscussed. You know that your semi-pro
>> pard does not know your personal preferred
>> agreement for a 3NT opening. But, both you and
>> your semi-pro pard know that:
>>
>> (a) Half the partnerships at this semi-social
>> bridge club define a 3NT opening as 25-27 hcp,
>> balanced.
>>
>> (b) Half the partnerships at this semi-social
>> bridge club play the Gambling 3NT, showing a
>> solid minor.
>>
>> (2) Pauline Hanson (East), "Please explain."
>>
>> You, South, hold:
>>
>> J943
>> T7
>> KT8742
>> 7
>>
>> What explanation of your semi-pro pard's 3NT
>> bid do you give?
>

> None. I leave the table and let him explain it.

Thanks!  I vastly prefer this solution over listing some sort of
pseudo-objective list of "facts" that one "honestly" considers
"significant" in order to pretend to "give the opponents the same
exact knowledge I have" as if that is playing bridge.

Robert's answer reminds me of a famous scene from "Raiders of the Lost
Ark": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3I_Ds2ytz4o&feature=related

Jerry Fusselman