[BLML] Agreed draw?

Eric Landau ehaa at starpower.net
Tue Nov 13 15:36:38 CET 2012

On Nov 12, 2012, at 8:17 AM, Hans van Staveren wrote:

> Unfortunately, without further regulations it does not solve anything.
> Define "score".
>
> On Behalf Of Jeff Easterson
>
> Finally someone (in this case Peter) noticed §72A.  It was about time.
> I assume Richard will also quote this law.  Ciao,  JE
>
> Am 11.11.2012 20:58, schrieb Peter Eidt:
>
>> Von: "Hans van Staveren" <sater at xs4all.nl>
>>
>>> Last round of the Dutch top teams competition. Representatives of two
>>> teams that play each other in the last round come to me: Are they
>>> allowed to agree to pass out all boards in the last round? That would
>>> give them a draw, and would suit them fine.
>>>
>>> I did not like this too much, but what legal recourse do I have
>>> against it?
>>
>> Law 72 A:
>> "Duplicate bridge tournaments should be played in strict accordance with the Laws.
>> The chief object is to obtain a higher score than other contestants
>> whilst complying with the lawful procedures and ethical standards set out in these laws."
>>
>>> I figured something out, and furthermore it turned out their
>>> teammates disagreed about it anyhow, but the theory is still
>>> interesting.

For lack of anything more specifically defined, the obvious scope of one's "higher score" obligation, IMHO, would seem to be whatever competition was covered by the entry fee (including whatever prospective fees you agreed to pay, as a ccondition of entry at the start, for as long as you continue to advance).

Eric Landau
1107 Dale Drive
Silver Spring MD 20910
ehaa at starpower.net