[BLML] Reason [SEC=UNOFFICIAL]

richard.hills at immi.gov.au richard.hills at immi.gov.au
Wed Nov 7 07:17:05 CET 2012

Tony Musgrove (parallel "Eric..." thread),
November 2012:

>Going to read the 3 volume novel on logic
>for a bit of light relief,
>
>Bored (Sydney)

Richard Hills, November 2012:

Below is a non-boring 1970 Bridge World
article discussed on blml in October 2009,
but reprinted for the entertainment of
newbies to the list.

Boring 2007 Law 67B2, very complex:

After both sides have played to the
following trick, when attention is drawn
to a defective trick or when the Director
determines that there had been a defective
trick (from the fact that one player has
too few or too many cards in his hand, and
a correspondingly incorrect number of
played cards), the Director establishes
which trick was defective. To rectify the
number of cards, the Director should
proceed as follows.

2. (a) When the offender has played more
than one card to the defective trick, the
Director inspects the played cards and
requires the offender to restore to his
hand all extra cards*, leaving among the
played cards the one faced in playing to
the defective trick (if the Director is
unable to determine which card was faced,
the offender leaves the highest ranking of
the cards that he could legally have
played to the trick). Ownership of the
defective trick does not change.

(b) A restored card is deemed to have
belonged continuously to the offender's
hand, and a failure to have played it to
an earlier trick may constitute a revoke.

* The Director should avoid, when
possible, exposing a defender's played
cards, but if an extra card to be restored
to a defenders hand has been exposed, it
becomes a penalty card (see Law 50).

Non-boring 1963 Law 68(a), very simple:

When attention is drawn to a defective
trick after a player on each side has
played to the following trick, the
defective trick stands as played and:

(a) A player with too few cards plays the
remainder of his hand with fewer cards
than the other players; he does not play
to the final trick (or tricks); and if he
wins a trick with his last card, the lead
passes in rotation.

January 1970 Bridge World, "Fish Kill",
Stephen R. Sandler:

NORTH (Dummy)
AKJ97543
AQ86
3
---

SOUTH (Declarer)
---
---
AKQT
AKQJT9632

We did finally stop at seven notrump with
me declarer. The opening lead -- low club
of course.

I'll spare you my thoughts of running
everything in the hope that somebody would
unguard the jack of diamonds or that it
would fall. A quick peek had shown that
card five times to my right in a hand with
no other card above a ten. From the glint
of determination in the eyes of the jack-
holder and his steely grip on the cards, I
knew that jack would not be unguarded.

I managed to lead my last club with the
ten of diamonds concealed under it. The
stage was set.

So I reeled off my top diamonds, producing
a simple squeeze at trick 12:

.................NORTH
.................A
.................A
.................---
.................---
WEST..................................EAST
Q.....................................---
K.....................................---
---...................................J9
---...................................---
.................SOUTH
.................---
.................---
.................Q
.................---

I led the diamond queen, and all I had to
do was follow West's discard. He threw the
spade queen, so I pitched the spade ace and
announced that since I now had no more
cards my left-hand opponent was on lead.

The added pressure was too much for the
beleaguered pharmacist. Crying hysterically
by this time, he dropped his heart king on
the floor, continued to fumble with his
wallet and led ... yes ... his Social
Security card. I might have been able to
handle the situation myself, but some lousy
kibitzer called the director when the
pharmacist's partner momentarily stopped
breathing. After applying artificial
respiration for 90 seconds, the director
made his decision.

The lead of the Social Security card stood.
Unless dummy could produce a Social
Security card with a higher number (and the
director knew as well as I did that
Kozinkoff had never worked a day in his
life) we would lose the trick.

Best wishes