[BLML] (2017) L70E -- any line of play

Robert Frick rfrick at rfrick.info
Thu Mar 15 14:41:37 CET 2012

On Thu, 15 Mar 2012 08:32:55 -0400, Thomas Dehn <blml at arcor.de> wrote:

> Robert Frick <rfrick at rfrick.info> wrote:
>> L70E.  "...unless an opponent failed to follow to the suit of that card
>> before the claim was made, or would subsequently fail to follow to that
>> suit an any normal line of play or unless failulre to adopt that line of
>> play would be irrational."
>>
>> The problem is the middle conditional, "or would subsequently fail to
>> follow to that suit an any normal line of play". Director is examining a
>> line of play. If a player behind the finesse has shown out in hearts *on
>> that line of play*, the director will allow the finesse. The other lines
>> of play are irrelevant. If the player behind the finesse has not shown
>> out
>> in hearts *in that line of play* (and neither of the other conditions
>> are
>> met), the director will not allow the finesse. What happens in other
>> lines
>> of play is still irrelevant.
>>
>> CHANGE TO..
>> "or previously in the line of play under consideration".
>>
>> COMMENTARY
>> As stands, I can claim and always win all the tricks in AJxxx opposite
>> K10xxx. If one player is void, I am allowed to finesse on the first
>> round
>> because the player shows out on a different line of play.
>>
>> This particular problem can be solved by replacing "any" with "every".
>> However, that still is wrong. It is also impractical, as it would
>> require
>> the director to examine every possible line of play before allowing a
>> finesse,.
>
> I agree that the meaning is "every" (line under consideration), and that
> "any" can be misinterpreted.

Consider this example. Declarer claims, saying his hand is good. It is
not. One rational line of play is to lead a heart. LHO wins, with RHO
showing out in hearts. LHO now leads a heart. Do you allow declarer to
finesse in dummy?

My guess is that every director will allow the finesse. In my mind, it is
irrelevant whether RHO shows out in other lines of play. Right?

--
http://somepsychology.com