[BLML] Absent dummy and consequences

Ed Reppert blackshoe at mac.com
Thu Mar 15 07:26:03 CET 2012

On Mar 14, 2012, at 4:33 AM, Hans van Staveren wrote:

> Yesterday I heard about the following case:
>
> A board was played, dummy was away.
> Declarer called the cards and opponents handled the dummy.
>
> Now dummy contained both red fives and was on lead.
>
> RHO heard heart five, and played the heart ace from his hand before picking up the heart five from dummy.
> Now declarer said that he specified the diamond five. Director!
>
> Director ruled the diamond five played and the heart ace a major penalty card. This led to the contract, a doubled game, making instead of going one off.
>
> I have my thoughts about this, but first want to hear some opinions.

Interestingly, today, for the first time *ever*, I heard dummy ask her partner "will you turn my cards for me, please?"

I agree with Richard Hills. Rule the HA is not a penalty card, tell him to pick it up and follow suit. Tell him to be more careful in future about making sure of dummy's played card before playing his own. Although I note that a card from dummy is "actually played" when it is designated, so there is some basis for the argument that one can play (in turn) after the designation but before the movement to the played position. I wouldn't, though. I think waiting until it's in the played position is a good idea.