[BLML] (2017) L70E -- any line of play

Robert Frick rfrick at rfrick.info
Tue Mar 13 13:35:25 CET 2012

L70E.  "...unless an opponent failed to follow to the suit of that card
before the claim was made, or would subsequently fail to follow to that
suit an any normal line of play or unless failulre to adopt that line of
play would be irrational."

The problem is the middle conditional, "or would subsequently fail to
follow to that suit an any normal line of play". Director is examining a
line of play. If a player behind the finesse has shown out in hearts *on
that line of play*, the director will allow the finesse. The other lines
of play are irrelevant. If the player behind the finesse has not shown out
in hearts *in that line of play* (and neither of the other conditions are
met), the director will not allow the finesse. What happens in other lines
of play is still irrelevant.

CHANGE TO..
"or previously in the line of play under consideration".

COMMENTARY
As stands, I can claim and always win all the tricks in AJxxx opposite
K10xxx. If one player is void, I am allowed to finesse on the first round
because the player shows out on a different line of play.

This particular problem can be solved by replacing "any" with "every".
However, that still is wrong. It is also impractical, as it would require
the director to examine every possible line of play before allowing a
finesse,.