[BLML] The Mirror of Galadriel [SEC=UNOFFICIAL]

richard.hills at immi.gov.au richard.hills at immi.gov.au
Tue Mar 13 00:16:42 CET 2012

Grattan Endicott opinion, 18th July 2008:

[snip]
>Incidentally I am not sure that the pass of
>a forcing bid, when the bidding may end
>without reaching partner, can be said to
>be a psyche; it is for sure anti-systemic
>and I would account it a matter of general
>bridge knowledge that it constitutes a
>grandma's warning that all is not as it
>seemed. +=+

Matchpoint pairs
Dlr: North
Vul: North-South

The bidding has gone:

WEST.....NORTH....EAST.....SOUTH
---......2NT(1)...Pass.....3H(2)
Dble.....4C(3)....Pass.....?

(1) 22-23 hcp balanced
(2) Transfer to spades
(3) Super-accept in spades, cue-bidding
the ace of clubs *

You, South, hold:

J6432
---
J876
A654

Two aces of clubs is "a grandma's warning
that all is not as it seemed."

What call did South make at the table?

South chose to Pass North's 4C. The TD
and AC accepted South's argument that UI
received by South that North held a weak
5/5 in the minors corresponded to the AI
received by South of the "grandma's
warning".

I disagree with the TD and AC. In my opinion
there are many plausible reasons for the
"grandma's warning" (for example North may
have indeed held 22-23 hcp balanced, but
improvised a cuebid with KQ of clubs), so
South must choose an explanation for the
"grandma's warning" which is not an
explanation demonstrably suggested by UI.

Best wishes,

Richard Hills

* Unlike the earlier logically inconsistent
example in this thread, here South only
knows the partnership agreement is
impossible by looking at her hand. So
therefore South should explain that North
holds the ace of clubs if East enquires.