[BLML] Pointless TD calls for 2017

Marvin French mfrench1 at san.rr.com
Wed Jun 20 18:20:38 CEST 2012

I am getting tired of pointless TD calls that waste everyone's time. Playing
with Alice, I may psych once in every ten sessions, but this Sunday I did it
twice, both times playing against experienced pairs.

The first was when I opened 1C in first seat with nothing but five clubs to
the K8. Alice bid 2NT, forcing, and I passed, as did LHO with his 11 HCP.
When dummy came down LHO yelled for the TD. "Can't it wait?" I asked, "We
have another board to play." No, it couldn't wait and the TD was finally
found. LHO reported the psych, saying, "I don't know how often he does
this." The TD left, saying he would look at the matter later. We were -150
but they had a game coming.

On the next round my RHO was late arriving and I chatted with LHO, telling
him why the TD had come to our table. He seemed to agree with me that the TD
call should not have been made. So I picked up  void  KQ10987  AJxx  Qxx
and opened 1H, passed around to RHO, who bid 1S. Of course I bid 1NT, a safe
psych after partner passed my opening bid. LHO thought a bit and passed with
his Qx spades and 11 HCP, whereupon RHO bid 2S with a disdainful smirk. This
time LHO thought quite a while, asked questions, looked at our CC (which
doesn't cover this situation) and finally passed, 11 tricks taken. When I
showed out on the first round of spades he (dummy!) immediately screamed for
the TD, again wasting everyone's time. First time I had ever made this
particular psych, if that's a factor.

Presumably because there was no evidence of fielding, the TD did nothing
about the two psychs. I doubt that he gave a little private lecture to these
jerks, as he should have. John Probst would have asked, "Why are you wasting
my time?"

At an NABC I was plagued by TD calls when I stopped to think. One opponent
did not call but said, "If you do that again I'm calling the Director."
Another did call while I thought a long time before passing partner's 1NT
rebid with my weak hand. Play had to stop while we waited for the TD, who
defended the call but of course did nothing.

In the same session, my partner (not Alice!) stupidly asked about a 1S (4th
suit) bid by dummy before passing out 1NT, with me on lead. TD was called
before I could lead. Luckily I obviously had no logical alternative to a
lead from J10x spades, so nothing came of it. Time wasted, and again the TD
said the call was appropriate.

Can't we have something in the next Laws that says the TD may not be called
in the absence of a known irregularity unless the RA requires it? Evidence
necessary, not just a suspicion.

Marv
Marvin L French
www.marvinfrenchj.com