[BLML] Logic (was Klaatu) [SEC=UNOFFICIAL]

richard.hills at immi.gov.au richard.hills at immi.gov.au
Wed Jun 20 01:22:14 CEST 2012

William Shakespeare, The Tempest:

Full fathom five thy father lies;
Of his bones are coral made:
Those are pearls that were his eyes:
Nothing of him that doth fade,
But doth suffer a sea-change
Into something rich and strange.

Alan Gottcheiner:

>AG : up to a certain point. First, many
>agreements are facultative, most notably for
>strategical reasons, e.g.. if playing preemptive
>jump raises, I would occasionally not use them
>with the right hand.
[snip]

Richard Hills:

"Facultative" pre-existing mutual partnership
understandings may or may not have been
Lawful under the 1997 Lawbook, but are now
definitely unLawful under the 2007 Lawbook
because of the new 2007 Law 40C1.

If Alain and partner have an understanding to
avoid preemptive jump raises with the right
hand, then they are _not_ using a preemptive
jump raise method, since Law 40C1 has sea-
changed the original notional partnership
understanding into something rich and strange.

That is, Alain-partner are using the nuanced
partnership understanding of "preemptive jump
raises except with the right hand". Law 40C1
requires that this _must_ be fully explained to
the opponents upon their enquiry, _including_
details of what Alain-partner consider to be the
right hand. (And if Alain and partner differ in
their criteria for the right hand, then Law 40C1
mandates that those individual differences
_must_ also be fully explained.)

Psalm 137, verse 5:

If I forget thee, O Jerusalem: let my right hand
forget her cunning.