[BLML] Logic (was Klaatu) [SEC=UNOFFICIAL]

Roger Pewick axman22 at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 15 13:51:24 CEST 2012

> From: svenpran at online.no
> To: blml at rtflb.org
> Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2012 12:47:31 +0200
> Subject: Re: [BLML] Logic (was Klaatu) [SEC=UNOFFICIAL]
>
> Sometime in the thirties there was an intense debate (I don't remember
> exactly in which bridge magazine I read it) where the prime position of the
> Portland Club was that certain conventions were illegal.
>
> The bridge laws then defined a card as exposed (among other criteria also)
> if a player "says something that shows he holds that card". (Remember that
> all calls were spoken in those days.)
>
> The Portland Club argument was that whenever the answer to an asking bid
> confirmed the presence of a particular card then this card was "exposed".
> The same applied to the asking bid itself, remember that the asking bid 4NT
> in Culbertson's 4-5NT convention promised (if I remember correct) the King
> in suits already bid.
>
> The debate seemed eventually settled by an agreement (and subsequent
> modification in the laws) that "says something" does not include legal
> (spoken) calls.

It would seem that the debate occurred after 1933:

1933- definitions

Exposed Card
(a) Any card dropped face up on the table even though no other player can name it;
(b) Any card dropped elsewhere than on the table when the offender’s partner sees its face, but not when it is seen only by an opponent;
(c) Any card so held by a player that his partner sees any portion of its face, but not a card so held that only an opponent can see it;
(d) Any card held by a player if he has said anything indicating that he holds it;
(e) The last two cards in the hands of an adversary if, before that ad­versary has played to the twelfth trick, his partner has shown his last card;
(f) Any card which under any provision in these laws may be treated as an exposed card.
During the auction the cards of any player may become exposed. Dur­ing the play only cards held by an adversary may become exposed.

1949- deleted from defintions; leaving:

CARD EXPOSED DURING THE AUCTION
26. If during the auction a player faces a card on the table, or sees the face of a card
 belonging to his partner:
(a) If an Ace, King, Queen or Jack, or a lower card prematurely led, or more than one card;* (penalty) the owner’s partner must pass when next it is his turn to call. Every such card must be left face up on the table until the auction closes; and if its owner is then a defender, it becomes a penalty card.
(b) If a single card, lower than a Jack and not prematurely led, there is no penalty.
* If two (or more) cards are faced or seen at different times, clause (a) applies to both of them even though one has been picked up as provided in clause (b).

DECLARER EXPOSING CARDS
63. Declarer is never subject to penalty for exposure of a card, and no card of declarer’s ever becomes a penalty card.
64. If declarer plays more than one card he must designate which is his play, and must restore any other card to his hand.
65. If declarer exposes his hand after an opening lead by the wrong defender, and before. dummy has spread any part of his hand, dummy becomes declarer.
66. If declarer intentionally exposes his hand otherwise than as provided in the preceding sec­tion, it is treated as a claim or concession of tricks and section 88 applies.
DEFENDER EXPOSING CARDS
67. If a defender faces a card on the table, or sees the face of a card belonging to his partner before he is entitled to see it in the normal course of play or penalty enforcement; any such card
becomes a penalty card, except as otherwise pro­vided in these laws.*

• Exceptions to section 67: A card led out of turn may be treated as a correct lead (section 55) or may be picked up (section 57-b). An exposed card may not be treated as a penalty card if dummy improperly (section 46-a) draws attention to it, or to the irregularity that caused its exposure.

regards
roger pewick