[BLML] Logic (was Klaatu) [SEC=UNOFFICIAL]

Sven Pran svenpran at online.no
Fri Jun 15 12:47:31 CEST 2012

Sometime in the thirties there was an intense debate (I don't remember
exactly in which bridge magazine I read it) where the prime position of the
Portland Club was that certain conventions were illegal.

The bridge laws then defined a card as exposed (among other criteria also)
if a player "says something that shows he holds that card". (Remember that
all calls were spoken in those days.)

The Portland Club argument was that whenever the answer to an asking bid
confirmed the presence of a particular card then this card was "exposed".
The same applied to the asking bid itself, remember that the asking bid 4NT
in Culbertson's 4-5NT convention promised (if I remember correct) the King
in suits already bid.

The debate seemed eventually settled by an agreement (and subsequent
modification in the laws) that "says something" does not include legal
(spoken) calls.