[BLML] LOOT

Robert Frick rfrick at rfrick.info
Tue Jun 12 15:02:55 CEST 2012

I can't resolve the conflict. RHO asks who is on lead. I think it is him.
He leads. I put down my hand as dummy. Now someone points out the OLOOT. I
am supposed to be declarer now that my hand has been shown to everyone?
The punishment doesn't fit the crime. RHO has committed the real
infraction. Have I actually committed an infraction? I was wrong about who
was playing the hand, but RHO didn't know either. I didn't have to answer
RHO's question, I was just trying to be nice. (And this resolution also
violates the smaller let's-play-bridge principle.)

I also can't get to that ruling. The laws say I become dummy.

It is not near as bad if I am dummy and LHO gets to select a new opening
lead knowing my hand. But still the punishment doesn't fit the crime (if
there was a crime). And if I expose part of my hand, I am going to be one
very angry bridge player if the director makes me expose the rest of my
hand before letting LHO lead whatever he wants.

But I can't get to that ruling either. If I am dummy, my partner
presumably is the declarer. So RHO is on lead.

In my resolution, which is really good IMO, RHO retracts the lead, but RHO
is still on lead and the sight of now-dummy is UI. The punishment fits the
crime. It is not easy for players to intentionally exploit this
resolution. (And I think it is even better if the right to accept the lead
and be dummy disappears when the OLOOT is noted.)

I can get to that ruling using the laws. But allowing RHO to retract his
lead, then de facto forcing him to lead that same card... that flagrantly
violates the intent of L47E1.

Nice problem.

--
The end of one day is always the start of a next. *

*This offer expires Dec. 21, 2012