[BLML] An untruth

Marvin French mfrench1 at san.rr.com
Mon Jun 11 22:31:52 CEST 2012

From: "Ed Reppert"

(snip of what Ed calls a "wall of text" that was meant to clarify the
complicated relationship between the ACBL and the North American Bridge
Federations)

[Ed}

> Not gonna take the trouble to pare down this wall of text.

[Ed] The ACBL is quite welcome to give masterpoints for events (Sectionals,
Regionals, and the NABCs) conducted under their auspices as the ZO (or ZA,
take your pick) for North America. The NBOs (show me where the change to NBF
was made, please, as I don't recall it) are also welcome to give
masterpoints for events conducted under *their* auspices (which, imo, should
include club games).

[Marv] In 2001 the WBF wanted to partcipate in the Olympics.  The
International Olympic Committee required any international sport
organization wanting that right to have a National Federation for each
country in its membership. (At that time the ACBL acted not only as Zonal
Authority but in effect as an "NBO" for the USA.) The USBF was formed to
fulfill that requirement and most countries changed the names of their
"NBOs" to NBFs. The British call their NBF a "Bridge Union" (EBU) because it
includes more than one country. "NBO" is still popular informally. The name
doesn't matter, they are national bridge federations.

NBFs are free to have masterpoint systems of their own, as some European
countries do, but North American NBFs have not chosen this route. Their
members want ACBL masterpoints.

[Ed] The only reason, as far as I can see, that the situation vis a vis the
ACBL and the NBOs in NA is different from the situation vis a vis the EBL
and the NBOs in Europe, for just one example, is that the ACBL predates the
WBF and has always been the "500 pound canary".

What difference? Players do not join the EBL, they join their local
orgaization. The EBL awards EBL masterpoints to any NBF that wants them, but
others may award their own masterpoints, and some do. The EBL maintains
records of EBL masterpoints awarded. Looks like the EBL operates just like
the ACBL, but perhaps with less control over games that award masterpoints.
Also, like all other Zonal Authorties except the ACBL, the EBL accepts the
WBF version of the 2007 Laws of Duplicate Bridge and doesn't create its own.

Now I will sneak in a second untruth: If you look on the WBF website you
will find that the Canadian National Federation (CNF) has over 17,000
members. This is not true, as the actual CBF membership is about 1/3 that
.When Canadians join the ACBL they are given the option of also joining the
CBF, but only 1/3 do. However, the ACBL reports all Canadian ACBL members as
members of the CBF. Why would they do that? To maximize the number of  NBF
members in North America, that's why. There was a time when the WBF was
going to reduce the number of North American teams eligible for WBF
championships, which would mean one USA team instead of two. A compromise
was reached whereby Europeans were given an extra team qualification, and
the USA could retain its two. It therefore behooves the ACBL to  fudge the
number of North American NBF members.

Foreign citizens must join the ACBL in order to play in NABC+ events, and
the bean counters wanted to include them in the USBF number sent to the WBF
even though they belong to other NBFs. Ex-CEO Jay Baum said no to that idea,
good for him.

Another maximizing policy is to deny USA citizens the right to decline
membership in the USBF when they pay their ACBL membership fees. If
Canadians have that right, why can't we have it? Every USA citizen who joins
the ACBL is willy-nilly made a member of the USBF, non-voting of course. I
became a voting member of the USBF ($50) last year, but did not receive a
ballot for the 2012 elections because the number of nominations from the
USBF Nominating Committee did not exceed the number of positions available.
No ballot necessary in that case.

Marv
Marvin L French
www.marvinfrenchj.com