[BLML] fast lead, card from previous trick still face up

Jan Peach janpeach8 at bigpond.com
Sat Jun 9 23:58:29 CEST 2012

----- Original Message -----
From: Eric Landau
Sent: Saturday, June 09, 2012 6:42 AM
Subject: Re: [BLML] fast lead, card from previous trick still face up

On Jun 7, 2012, at 4:19 PM, Robert Frick wrote:

> Obviously, after players have played to a trick, they turn their
> card face
> down. Here on Long Island, I think people try not to lead until all
> four
> cards have been turned face down. In fact, if a player left their card
> face up, people would usually face their cards if the player seemed
> to be
> deliberately leaving their card face up.
>
> Of course, if you won a trick that declarer just revoked on, and
> declarer
> still had the revoking card face up on the table, you would not
> want to
> wait for her to possibly figure out what had happened, and you surely
> would not want to let everyone face their cards from the previous
> trick.
> Your best strategy would be to lead.
>
> That's what happened today. The stories conflict from then on, but
> include
> the defender telling declarer to turn her card over, I think when
> it was
> her turn to play to the next trick. But it also was clear that she had
> played from the dummy and she never figured out that she had
> revoked much
> less make any attempt to correct it. According to her, her only
> attempt
> was to try to figure out what was happening.
>
> But there seems to be no infraction.

It is a routine annoyance that players often go into interminable
huddles over leading (or playing) to the next trick while leaving
their card from the previous trick face up on the table, purportedly
so as to preserve their right to inspect the previous trick should
they forget it before they come out of the tank.  This causes
trouble, as often the player appears rather to be working the "card-
up Sominex trick-review coup", in which he preserves his right to
review the previous trick while vehemently insisting that his
opponent, who routinely turned his card 10 minutes ago when the trick
was concluded and has since lost track from boredom, has no such
right.  So does, e.g. "defender telling declarer to turn her card
over", "dueling" refusals to turn cards, disputes over inspecting
alleged revokes, and the like, which rightly vex Bob.  I would argue
that the card-still-face-up requirement serves no purpose, and
suggest that the next FLB either drop "until he has turned his own
card face down on the table" [L66A] altogether or change it to "until
declarer and both defenders have turned their cards face down on the
table".

Law 65A defines correct procedure. When all four cards have been played,
they are turned face down. Law 65A does not say unless someone wants to
think, control the speed of the table, look important.

I've seen 66A deliberately used as a tool to annoy the opponents and with
great success. A 74A situation.

I think 66A needs to say why a player may ask for cards to be refaced as in
"A player who has not sighted all cards to a trick and who has not turned
his own card face down on the table may, so long as his side has not led or
played to the next trick, require that all cards just played to the trick be
faced. Once all cards are sighted they are turned face down (see 65A)."

I've found it curious that dummy is currently excluded from 66A. Obviously
dummy doesn't need to plan coups but dummy has rights that are dependent
upon his sighting all cards and quite often cards are played and turned in
such a manner or so quickly that the faces can't be seen.

Jan