[BLML] (2017) First law [SEC=UNOFFICIAL]

Ed Reppert blackshoe at mac.com
Tue Jul 24 03:20:32 CEST 2012

On Jul 23, 2012, at 8:52 PM, richard.hills at immi.gov.au wrote:

> Ed Reppert quote from the 2008 ACBL Lawbook:
>
> >>"An offending player should be ready to pay
> >>any penalty or rectification graciously or to
> >>accept any adjusted score awarded by the
> >>Tournament Director."
>
> An incompetent pseudo-Director quibbled:
>
> >Back in the day, we used to say "PPOR":
> >"Provide Proof or Retract". You post this in
> >quotes, but you don't say where it comes from.
> >It's not the laws, so what is it?
>
> It's _indeed_ in the 2007 WBF laws:
>
> "For the avoidance of doubt, this Introduction
> and the Definitions that follow form part of the
> Laws."
>
> It's _indeed_ in the 2008 ACBL laws:
>
> "Note that this Introduction and the Definitions
> that follow form part of the Laws."
>
> It's _indeed_ in both the WBF and ACBL laws:
>
> "Players should be ready to accept gracefully
> any rectification or adjusted score awarded by
> the Director."

'Fraid not, Richard. First, it was Robert Frick who quoted what you attribute to me. His question was "why should only an offending player be required to "graciously accept" a ruling from the TD?" I pointed out that the introduction to the 2007/2008 (WBF/ACBL) lawbook doesn't use the term "offending player". It refers to "players". It turns out I was wrong in only one respect: Robert's quote is from the Scope of the Laws in the ACBL Lawbook. That part does not appear in the WBF Lawbook. As I said in an earlier msg, I believe that since the Scope simply repeats what is said in the introduction, incorrectly replacing "players" with "offending players", the Scope is both redundant and wrong. Certainly offending players should graciously accept a TD's ruling, but so should everybody else.