[BLML] (2017) First law

David Grabiner grabiner at alumni.princeton.edu
Tue Jul 24 02:10:18 CEST 2012

"Brian" <bmeadows666 at gmail.com> writes:

> On 07/21/2012 12:24 PM, Robert Frick wrote:

>>> I don't know where you get that idea. Both Law 74A1 and the Introduction
>>> refer to "players" or "a player", not "offending players" or "the
>>> offending side" or anything like that.
>>

>> "An offending player should be ready to pay any penalty or rectification
>> graciously or to accept any adjusted score awarded by the Tournament
>> Director."
>>

>> How many people would object if the word "offending" was taken from this
>> sentence?
>>

> Under what circumstances would you expect it to apply to a
> NON-offending player?

Non-offending players are often unhappy with a rectification or adjusted score,
and should not object except by proper procedures.  If the TD rules, "I am
adjusting the contract to the result in 4S, but I believe you would only make
that contract half the time, so you get half the score for +420 and half the
score for -50", a player who believes he would have found the right line of play
and was deprived of a good score should not complain but may file an appeal.