[BLML] (2017) First law

Robert Frick rfrick at rfrick.info
Sat Jul 21 16:37:28 CEST 2012

On Sat, 21 Jul 2012 06:36:56 -0400, Grattan <grandaeval at tiscali.co.uk>
wrote:

> +=+ See Law 74A1, also the first para of the Introduction to the Laws.

Right. The question is why the first law applies only to players who are
the offending side. Why did you decide to do that? The nonoffending side
doesn't have to accept rulings graciously? Of course, now the question is
why would you want to keep the limitation "offending side" in the 2017
rules?

I think we had the problem at our club that a player simply refused to
follow the director's instructions. Imagine, just for example, a director
saying that a card was not a penalty card and a player ripping it out of
the other player's hand and putting it angrily on the table. That would
seem to violate the first law (first rule? Whatever you want to call it,
it is the first thing players are told to do or not do in the lawbook).
But only if they are the offending side.

For that matter, L74 only addresses the summoning and addressing the
director. It does not apply to other things. So, for example, a director
leaves the table and a player says to the next table, "That was the worst
f*cking ruling I have ever heard. That director wouldn't know his head
 from his a***ole." L74 would not apply, right?

But it doesn't seem like gracefully accepting the ruling. So he has
violated the laws *if* he is the offending side. Of course, it could be an
honest mistake -- he didn't think he was the offending side.

--
Wisdom is the beginning of seeing.