[BLML] First Time I Have Seen This One

Steve Willner swillner at nhcc.net
Sat Jul 14 15:36:00 CEST 2012

[from a note not sent to the list]
> declarer's card is played...it is certainly on or near the
> table....this seems so obvious that I suspect you were expecting a
> unanimous result and then had a cunning twist for us.

No tricks, but I do appreciate the response.  I'm just surprised because
the result is not what I remember from when we discussed this topic some
years ago.  I thought the conclusion then was that declarer's card was
played when it stops moving: "when declarer stops waving it around," as
I think Probst wrote.  Now the conclusion seems to be that declarer's
card is played when it gets near the table, even if it's still in
motion.  I'm also surprised that no RA seems to have given official
guidance.

It seems to me "stops moving" would be easier to rule than "near the
table," but nobody seems to worry about that.

On 2012-07-12 6:00 PM, Sven Pran wrote:
> I am not aware of any law relevant to cards played by Declarer that
> is anywhere comparable to for instance Law 25A on changing an
> inadvertent call?

Me either.  Some of us think L25A should be eliminated, but that's a
different discussion.

> However, the use of bidding boxes is entirely a matter of regulation

Indeed, and some RAs have decided that a call is made under the same
rule by which declarer's card is played.  We can discuss the merits of
this decision, but I don't think there's any doubt that it exists.

On 2012-07-13 3:16 PM, Sven Pran wrote:
> From my impression of what I have read here on ACBL regulations I
> fear that the typical ACBL SB would yell

We have our problems in the ACBL, but I don't think an excessive number
of Secretary Birds is high on the list.  If anything, too few players --
and worse, TDs -- have any idea what the Laws say.

In Robert's example of a wrong bidding card put on the table and then
covered with the correct card, I'd expect the problem to be worse in
Europe if anywhere.  Over there, the incorrect call was made as soon as
the card left the box.  As a practical matter, though, I wouldn't expect
a problem anywhere.