[BLML] First Time I Have Seen This One

Eric Landau ehaa at starpower.net
Fri Jul 13 15:04:25 CEST 2012

On Jul 12, 2012, at 10:18 PM, Robert Frick wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Jul 2012 15:56:15 -0400, Steve Willner <swillner at nhcc.net>
> wrote:
>
>> On 2012-07-10 12:44 AM, Sven Pran wrote:
>>
>>> Misunderstandings are commonly created by confusing the play of a
>>> card with the making of a call using bid cards. These are entirely
>>> different events.
>>
>> However, in the ACBL (and apparently ABA except NSW), the rules for
>> bidding boxes are identical to those for declarer's played card.
>
> The rules for play of declarer's card mention face up. That is
> potentially
> a big difference. A player waived her bid in the air (bid not
> made), said
> "let me think", and placed the card edge on the table facing her.
> Bid made
> if you follow the ACBL regulations.
>
>> I'm disappointed that nobody except Richard responded to my question
>> about declarer's played card, and Richard quoted rules that are
>> irrelevant to the question.
>
> I think "held" means "in one's hand", and it does not mean "held
> steady".
> So i a card makes it to being face up at or near the table, I rule
> it a
> played card, even if it is in motion.

I believe there is a "correct" way to handle one's bid cards.
Players should determine their intended call before reaching for the
bid box, remove the (stack of) bid card(s) in a single motion,
examine the face of the (top) card to verify that it is the intended
call, adjusting if necessary, and then place the card(s) on the
table, establishing the call as made "with intent".  We should take
care not to write regulations that would call this practice into
question.

In real life, if I do mispull a bid, I protect myself by saying
something ("That's not what I meant to bid") immediately upon
checking it and before correcting it; this has never been questioned
by an opponent.

Eric Landau
1107 Dale Drive
Silver Spring MD 20910