[BLML] They won't believe you [SEC=UNOFFICIAL]

richard.hills at immi.gov.au richard.hills at immi.gov.au
Thu Jul 12 04:08:35 CEST 2012

Macquarie Dictionary, 8th definition of "verbal":

Colloquial, an oral confession, usually made to
police and recorded by them, and sometimes
alleged to be fabricated. –verb (t) (verballed,
verballing) [late Middle English, from Latin
"verbālis", from "verbum" word]

Hypothetical 2017 Law 85A2, first sentence,
slightly amended:

Verbal evidence to the Director (John
"MadDog" Probst has colloquially defined the
Director as the NYPD) is still evidence.

An American blmler's quibble, July 2012:

>>>Richard,
>>>
>>>As an admirer generally of your language,
>>>I wish you would not use "verbal" when you
>>>mean "oral." Strictly speaking, "verbal"
>>>means communication with words, orally or
>>>on paper, it is not an antonym for "written."
>>>
>>>Yes, "a verbal agreement isn't worth the
>>>paper it's written on," but Goldwyn was not
>>>a language expert like you, and should
>>>have used "oral" for a good joke.

An Aussie blmler's quibble, April 2006:

>>I would like to table Grattan's comment.
>>
>>In English English, to table Grattan's
>>comment means making Grattan's
>>comment available for further discussion.
>>
>>In American English, to table Grattan's
>>comment means prohibiting any further
>>discussion of it.
>>
>>In Aussie English (Strine), to table Grattan's
>>comment means turning it into a piece of
>>furniture.

Grattan Endicott, April 2006:

>+=+ We do not have a common language.
>We have languages that have a great deal in
>common. But since 1620 AD, or earlier, our
>languages have been diverging - until fairly
>recently when we have languages coming
>together at the same time as they move
>apart. The conceit of some Americans in
>their (American) 'English' is no less than my
>conceit in our autochthonous tongue.
>
>As an aside, this is one of the perils for the
>juridical draughtsman - producing text that
>has the same meaning in American
>English as in English. ~ Grattan ~ +=+

Gordon Bower, April 2006:

"Autochthonous". Indeed a real word,
though not one you hear very often.

Its antonym, "allochthonous," on the other
hand, you will hear very frequently -- if you
are a geologist in Alaska, and we have at
least one of those on this mailing list. (It was
news to me to discover, after the spelling
bee, that the words also have currency in
other fields.)

Let's see: maybe we can use this to simplify
the next edition of the alert rules:

"Autochthonous conventions are part of
one's general bridge knowledge and
experience, but all allochthons are