[BLML] Duplicate Bridge Law 2017 Law 81 + footnotes [SEC=UNOFFICIAL]

Robert Frick rfrick at rfrick.info
Mon Jul 2 03:42:07 CEST 2012

On Sun, 01 Jul 2012 18:54:48 -0400, <richard.hills at immi.gov.au> wrote:

> Hypothetical 2017 Law 81 - The Director
>
> A. Official Status
>
> The Director is the official representative of the
> Tournament Organizer.
>
> B. Restrictions and Responsibilities
>
> 1. The Director is responsible for the on-site
> technical management of the tournament. The
> Director has powers to remedy any omissions of
> the Tournament Organizer.*
>
> 2. The Director applies, and is bound by, these
> Laws and supplementary regulations announced
> under authority given in these Laws.
>
> C. Director's Duties and Powers
>
> The Director (not the players) has the sole
> responsibility for rectifying irregularities and
> redressing damage. The Director's duties and
> powers normally include also the following:
>
> 1. to maintain discipline and to ensure the orderly
> progress of the game.
>
> 2. to administer and interpret these Laws and to
> relevantly** advise the players of their rights and
> responsibilities thereunder.
>
> 3. to rectify an error or irregularity of which the
> Director becomes aware (but not necessarily as
> soon as the Director becomes aware***) in any
> manner, within the correction period established
> in accordance with Law 79C.

If you are thinking of this as a power, then I am not sure the
parenthetical stuff is needed. Directors now feel comfortable delaying
their intervention.

If you are thinking of this as a duty, then you are leaving it unsaid when
the director intervenes -- sometimes the director has the duy to intervene
right away and sometimes he doesn't. You might as well just leave that
part as a power.

--
The end of one day is always the start of a next. *

*This offer expires Dec. 21, 2012