[BLML] Screen problem from Iceland [SEC=UNOFFICIAL]

richard.hills at immi.gov.au richard.hills at immi.gov.au
Fri Apr 27 08:34:50 CEST 2012

Richard Hills:

>> In ABF-land by ABF regulation it is not the
>>responsibility of both sides to see the auction
>>thus far, it is rather the exclusive responsibility
>>of South.

Henk Uijterwaal:

>Even if we assume that South passes the tray
>correctly to the other side (that is, it is fully
>moved under the screen, all bids are clearly
>visible), how can South be held responsible
>for the fact that East actually looks at the
>auction? And if the tray, isn't passed correctly
>(as can easily happen), why shouldn't East
>speak up?

Richard Hills:

If South had passed the tray correctly it is
distinctly possible that NORTH would have
bid instead of passing, and it is indistinctly
possible that North's pass damaged East-
West.

Under the ABF reg East has zero
responsibility to recover from South's
infraction -- the situation is analogous to a
Law 41D spread of only 12 cards by dummy,
when the defenders also have zero
responsibility to recover from dummy's
infraction.

Best wishes,