[BLML] Screen problem from Iceland [SEC=UNOFFICIAL]

Tony Musgrove ardelm at optusnet.com.au
Thu Apr 26 08:18:41 CEST 2012

From: blml-bounces at rtflb.org [mailto:blml-bounces at rtflb.org] On Behalf
Of richard.hills at immi.gov.au
Sent: Thursday, 26 April 2012 2:33 PM
To: Bridge Laws Mailing List
Subject: Re: [BLML] Screen problem from Iceland [SEC=UNOFFICIAL]

Paul Newman (apocryphal attribution):

"If you're playing a poker game and you look
around the table and can't tell who the
sucker is, it's you."

Richard Hills, looking around the table:

>>More generally, for _all_ games of skill, the
>>concept of fair play for a particular game is
>>defined by that particular game's set of
>>particular rules.
>>
>>An example is the game Diplomacy. A
>>successful backstab of your loyal ally is not
>>only fair, but indeed such treachery is the
>>main point of the game.
[snip]

Robert Frick:

>And what about a rich player paying
>someone to backstab someone?

Richard Hills:

Such a payment is completely legal under
the rules of Diplomacy. But also completely
legal under the rules of Diplomacy is to take
the money, then backstab the rich player. A
key value of Diplomacy is that pre-existing
mutual understandings are NEVER binding.

Robert Frick:

>Or a boss getting an employee to backstab
>someone?

Richard Hills:

The employee "accidentally" writes a typo
on her secret simultaneous orders, and the
boss's nation is then "accidentally" invaded
in force by two very friendly allied nations.

Robert Frick:

>Do we really need to read the rules to see
>if these are fair?
[snip]

Richard Hills:

Missing the point. EVERYTHING is fair when
playing Diplomacy, except initiating a Global
Thermonuclear War of whining / rudeness.

And the only way to win a Global Thermo-
nuclear War is not to play. How about a nice
game of chess?

Best wishes,

Richard Hills

[tony] Or how about a friendly game of cards?
             No thanks, I prefer bridge

Cheers

Tony (Sydney)

Important Notice: If you have received this email by mistake, please
advise
the sender and delete the message and attachments immediately. This
email,
including attachments, may contain confidential, sensitive, legally
privileged
and/or copyright information. Any review, retransmission, dissemination
intended recipient is prohibited. DIAC respects your privacy and has
obligations under the Privacy Act 1988. The official departmental
privacy
policy can be viewed on the department's website at www.immi.gov.au.
See: