[BLML] OLOOT is back in hand

Robert Frick rfrick at rfrick.info
Thu Apr 12 21:26:23 CEST 2012

On Thu, 12 Apr 2012 03:23:18 -0400, ton <t.kooyman at worldonline.nl> wrote:

> Robert Frick:
>
> I do not think any director would allow any defender to take back a card
> placed in the played position. The laws don't seem very clear on that,
> but
> that's another issue. The issue here is an OLOOT, which is an infraction.
>

> ton:
> I still feel that the laws are clear and specific about this issue. But
> since we want to improve things as much as possible could Robert tell us
> what in his opinion is not so 'very clear'?
> I sometimes get the impression that for Robert nothing is very clear in
> the
> laws and such a problem might not be solvable.

Hi ton. The problem is small but really there. Suppose I as defender hold
a card face up above the table. To everyone it looks played. If I was
declarer, the play of that card would be compulsory. But because I am
defender, the play of that card is compulsory only if my partner could
have seen it. If my partner is out of the room, or completely blind, then
my partner could not have seen the card and L45C1 does not apply to me.

If you look to L45A to define when a card is played, it says a card is
played when it is on the table. So it doesn't help either.

The director is going to use common sense and rule that the card is
played. But he is not going to encourage the defender to carefully read
the lawbook. (There are other problems related to the fact that playing a
card is often a deadline.)

The solution is very simple, both to write and understand and implement:

A card is played when:
a. It is held face up in the played position, touching or nearly touching
the table
b. it is named or designated
c. declarer touches a card in dummy for purposes of playing it

I am guessing most people would be hard-pressed to say the difference
between that on the current laws. (The current laws define these as events
that make the play of the card compulsory, with L45A defining a played
card.) Or if you don't like the discrepancies between this and L45C, just
rewrite L45C as defining when a card is played, and leave out the
situation where the card becomes a penalty card.

I will turn in a proposal on this.

Bob