[BLML] OLOOT is back in hand

Robert Frick rfrick at rfrick.info
Mon Apr 9 15:38:41 CEST 2012

On Mon, 09 Apr 2012 03:59:48 -0400, Thomas Dehn <blml at arcor.de> wrote:

> Bob somehow thinks that adding a 3rd infraction to the first two
> infractions
> should be rewarded by the director.
>
> 1.) Player makes OLOOT.
> 2.) Player makes that OLOOT face up (an infraction only if the RA has
> not opted to allow face up opening leads)
> 3.) Player then retracts that card, violating L41A and L47
>
> The TD simply tells the player "I am sorry, but you
> cannot withdraw an opening lead out of turn - or generally
> any played card - except when
> instructed to withdraw the opening lead by the director.
> Please put the card back on the table. Next time you
> want to retract a played card, please call the director."

Well, part of the problem is that it is not necessarily a reward. Let's
supposed declarer just wants to play the hand, or does not trust the
director spend the 20 minutes or whatever it is to look for use of UI
during the hand. So you are punishing the nonoffending side. The defender
might be completely unaware of the UI issues. Then it is a reward to be
able to show the card to partner.

And of course, if the director mandates showing the card to partner, then
according to L16 it's AI. So both in theory and practice, you are probable
rewarding the defense when you insist the OLOOT be put back on the table.

--
http://somepsychology.com