[BLML] Arguing the Toss

Nigel Guthrie nigelguthrie at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Sep 29 18:43:17 CEST 2010

[Nigel]

If looking at your watch is cheating, then surely this is a more
subtle form. But why would the director treat a such an isolated "random result"
as
"information"?

[Eric Landau]
So I pick up my cards, open my hand, and sort them.  Then I shuffle
and reopen them.  Now, because I have shuffled my cards into random
order, I can make an effectively random choice among equivalent spot
cards when following or discarding by simply pulling the one furthest
to the right without further consideration.  Was my shuffling my
cards an "aid to technique"?  A "more subtle form" of "cheating"?
Are we over the line to absurdity here?

[Nigel]
My post was intended to make the same point that you make Eric :)
Not really relevant but, IMO, you could use the cards in your hand as an illegal
memory aid. For example:
- Consult the the pattern on the back because it provides a mnemonic for a
convention.
- Order your cards, so that later in the play, the pips can remind you of the
auction or your original hand-shape or the opening-lead or whatever.