[BLML] Local heresies?

Marvin French mfrench1 at san.rr.com
Wed Sep 15 23:25:13 CEST 2010

From: "John R. Mayne" >

> I think asking why there's a recommendation to players to flat-out
> ignore the law is a good question to ask. I think the actual
> choice is encouraging players not to follow the law, or to
> instruct players to avoid logical alternatives suggested by UI.
> The latter is hardly impossible to follow - and if it is
> impossible, the law should be changed.
>
> Instructions to ignore laws because they are too tough to follow
> do not seem like good instructions to me.
>
> I recognize that you believe this position to be snide
> cheap-shotting, but I disagree.

Me too. I have often heard the advice, "Just do what you would have
done anyway. If it doesn't work, they will just adjust the score, no
harm done."

Sounds good, but ignores the fact that the OS get little benefit of
doubt in a score adjustment. If they had just passed three spades,
they might have defended well enough to hold it to three. In an
adjustment to 3S the assumed defense will likely be inferior,
contract made with an overtrick. Also, opponents may spread the word
around that the OS is unethical. Those who value reputation don't
want that  to happen.

As  to the difficulty in following the law, I recommend this
simplification:

Don't take an action that might look like you were influenced by
partner, even if you weren't.

Marv
Marvin L French
San Diego, CA