[BLML] bid not seen

Eric Landau ehaa at starpower.net
Wed Sep 1 18:11:58 CEST 2010

On Sep 1, 2010, at 4:41 AM, Jeff Easterson wrote:

>   Allow me to support Thomas.  In my experience (more than many years)
> there have been numerous cases of bids not having been seen -
> especially
> with screens and bidding boxes.  (And I am surprised, as is Thomas,
> that Eric is not familiar with either.)

Just to set the record straight, I do play with bid boxes all the
time.  And I once did play with screens.  But I have never used the
two of them in combination.

> Sure, it is unusual for a bid
> not to be seen and there is generally no logical explanation for that.
> But that is true for a first or second or succeeding bid.  To
> return to
> the original case (if I remember correctly), if I am called to the
> table
> and told that a player did not see the original opening bid I am
> puzzled, but believe him.  Can't imagine why he didn't see it but
> accept
> that he didn't.  If he doesn't see succeeding bids I am just as
> puzzled
> but would accept it as fact if he so maintains.

Well, yes, if he didn't see any of his RHO's succeeding bids either,
then there is no reason to think he has seen the first one.  But you
can miss seeing RHO's opening bid because you thought you were the
dealer; to miss them all you'd have to have thought that bridge was a
game for three players.

> In short, I should be
> very sceptical about claims to have seen a bid the second time around
> without being somehow reminded of it by actions of the partner.
> Sure he
> might have seen it (most probably would have) when the bidding came
> around to it the second time but I have know way of knowing if he
> did or
> if something else (such as partner's alert or explanation or facial
> expression or hesitation) called his attention to what had happened.
> The bidding card on the table is AI, but I can not ever be sure he
> recognised it without UI.

When the bidding came around to him the second time -- I'm talking
about my familiar mode of play, with bid boxes but without screens --
his attention will have been called to RHO's opening bid by RHO's
mechanical act of placing his second bid card (stack) on top of the
first, offset so that the earlier bid remains clearly visible.
Regardless of anything his partner may do, the necessary "wake-up
call" will be issued by his RHO, and would thus be authorized.
Assuming he remembers that it takes four to play bridge.

Eric Landau
1107 Dale Drive
Silver Spring MD 20910
ehaa at starpower.net