[BLML] WBF minutes Oct 5 Item 5

Steve Willner swillner at nhcc.net
Sat Nov 27 18:37:50 CET 2010

[illegally-bid slam makes because of revoke or other serious error]

On 11/24/2010 7:49 AM, Hans van Staveren wrote:
> There was damage, according to 12B1, so an adjusted score is needed for the
> infractors. Without the infraction they would have scored something like
> 4S+x for a small value of x, so they get that score, probably weighted if
> necessary(rounded away for their disconvenience). A score of 6S-1 seems to
> me impossible: it was not reached as a table result, and could not have been
> reached through any legal bidding/play.

Marvin's point -- with which I agree -- is that L12C1d(ii) does not
contain the words "had the irregularity not occurred" (except in the
ACBL).  Thus you can assign the OS (only) a result that does include an
illegal auction.  It just has to be "the most unfavourable result that
was at all probable," and considering a revoke not at all probable seems
reasonable to me.