[BLML] WBF minutes Oct 5 Item 5 [SEC=UNOFFICIAL]

Jean-Pierre Rocafort jean-pierre.rocafort at meteo.fr
Fri Nov 26 09:24:22 CET 2010

richard.hills at immi.gov.au a écrit :
> Robert Morley (1908-1992), English actor:
>
> "The French are a logical people, which is one reason why
> the English dislike them so intensely. The other is that
> they own France, a country we have always judged to be too
> good for them."
>
> Hans van Staveren, a logical person (but not French):
>
>>> This is an interesting observation, however it has little
>>> practical value to the Cheat.
>
> Richard Hills, an English monoglot (but not English):
>
> Infrequent, yes.  Impractical, no.  "The Probst cheat" is
> merely going for an illegal version of the standard strategy
> of trying for a swing when behind on the last board.
>
> Hans van Staveren:
>
>>> To gain from this he has to have a more than 50% chance of
>>> his opponents revoking, else the loss is his, since if
>>> they do not revoke the 6S-1 score stands. It seems to me
>>> unlikely that a pair that revokes more than half the
>>> boards can be in contention for first place.
>
> Richard Hills:
>
> A misreading of the problem.  No matter what happens on the
> last board "the Probst cheat" is assured of at least second
> place.  If "the Probst cheat" legally stops in game, they
> will be a distant second (+450 without a revoke) or a close
> second (+480 with a revoke).  The only hope for "the Probst
> cheat" to get first place is to illegally bid slam, luckily
> get a revoke, and get a WBF LC split score of +450 to them
> and -980 to the other side.

i fail to see logic in the premise: we have a player who has a wire
telling him to illegaly call a slam and in the same time he knows the
slam is hopeless. how can it be that UI is so contradictory? with
illogical premise, it's not a surprise that application of laws may be
problematic. impossible problems leading to stupid solutions is quite
normal.
jpr

--
Jean-Pierre Rocafort