[BLML] Devolution [SEC=UNOFFICIAL]

Herman De Wael Hermandw at skynet.be
Mon Nov 15 10:04:11 CET 2010

Again, I have to agree with Richard. (must be something I ate ..)

I want to add one point. The EBU satisfaction with announcements is not
just because of its limit of use, but because of a special circumstance
regarding that limit.
In Belgium, 95% of pairs play 1NT as 15-17. This means that the 5% who
play weak NT don't mind alerting it. And it also means that the alert is
helpful, because players know what the alert means.

But in a country where roughly half the field plays one system and half
play another, it is not fair on either half to ask them to alert and not
the other half. Plus that it may become blurred which one should be
alerted. By announcing, everyone is happy.
But that is only the case for this one part of system. Not for every
other one.

Herman.

--
Herman De Wael