[BLML] equity in a claiming statement [SEC=UNOFFICIAL]

richard.hills at immi.gov.au richard.hills at immi.gov.au
Thu Nov 11 01:58:50 CET 2010

Robert Frick:

>>...I am saying that you, me and probably everyone follows the
>>principle that "the non-claiming side is assumed to perform
>>brilliantly after the claim".

Richard Hills:

"Probably everyone" counter-example; this unprincipled principle
is not followed by me.

Robert Frick:

>>Furthermore, this takes precedence over the injunction to make
>>an equitable ruling, which is in the rules...

Richard Hills:

No, Law 70A requires equity to take precedence.  If the Director
is uncertain as to where equity lies, such a "doubtful point as
to a claim shall be resolved against the claimer".

Pocket Oxford Dictionary:

"doubtful  a., feeling or giving rise to doubt, uncertain"

Thomas Dehn:

>...With respect to your hand, an L12C1(c) type assigned
>adjusted score (20% resp. 30% of two tricks to the defense, 80%
>resp. 70% of one trick to the defense, assuming your partner is
>really that horrible) might be more reasonable that either
>giving the defense one tricks (deprives your partner of the
>opportunity to make a play) or giving the defense two tricks
>(which they would have gotten only rarely if the hand had been
>played out)...

WBF Laws Committee minutes, 4th September 2009, item 9(a):

"It was agreed that in no circumstances can the application of
Law 69B2 lead to a weighted score. The law requires that 'such
trick' shall be transferred or not transferred as determined by
the Director's ascertainment of facts."

Best wishes

Richard Hills
Work Experience coordinator
Recruitment Section, Level 5 Aqua, workstation W569
Phone: 6223 8453
DIAC Social Club movie tickets