[BLML] Slip of the Forked Tongue (3)

Robert Frick rfrick at rfrick.info
Wed Nov 10 00:53:44 CET 2010

On Tue, 09 Nov 2010 12:55:08 -0500, Alain Gottcheiner <agot at ulb.ac.be>
wrote:

> Le 9/11/2010 18:20, gampas at aol.com a écrit :
>> [Eric Landau]
>> I concede that I may have misread the original example.  If, in the
>> actual case, when declarer's odd claim statement was first challenged
>> by an opponent, his immediate response was something along the lines
>> of, "Oh, I meant to say spade finesse," then we have a whole
>> different case (several, actually).
>>
>> [Paul Lamford] Indeed. And when he says, not wishing to take advantage
>> of the obvious slip of the tongue, "assuming you mean spade finesse,
>> that also fails", you can fall back on your last chance of the club
>> finesse. As you say, we have several new cases - an Irrational Claim
>> Coup, a distant cousin of the Alcatraz Coup."
> Notice that by sticking to the wording, you avoid any pelicanism.
> That's as good a reason as any.

Right, but Paul already had the example where we probably aren't going to
insist on the wording, when declarer says he would take the heart finesse.

So we accept the claim as stated wrong when there is no possible
Irrational Claim Coup, but do not allow the claim when the Irrational
Claim Coup might have worked.