[BLML] Slip of the Forked Tongue (3)

Robert Frick rfrick at rfrick.info
Thu Nov 4 02:03:01 CET 2010

On Wed, 03 Nov 2010 18:36:10 -0400, <gampas at aol.com> wrote:

> Teams
>     AQ
>     QJ2
>     AQ95
>     AKQ10
>
> K           J98742
> 10974       65
> 6432        87
> J432        987
>     10653
>     AK83
>     KJ10
>     65
>
> Dealer South 1NT (12-14) - 7NT, lead ten of hearts
>
> Declarer claimed with the statement: "Taking the heart finesse unless
> the jack of clubs comes down." West, the club's equivalent of the
> Secretary Bird, stated that it did not fall, and he had the nine of
> hearts, so the only heart finesse available failed.
>
> How do you rule?

The ACBL asks directors to distinguish faulty claims from poorly expressed
claims. I have found that advice useful. Here, I would rule that the
declarer could not have meant to finesse in hearts and hence must have
misspoke. I would allow the spade finesse. If there is a chance, I would
first make the claimant clarify his claim.