[BLML] Mathe-matics [SEC=UNOFFICIAL]

Alain Gottcheiner agot at ulb.ac.be
Tue May 25 20:10:16 CEST 2010

richard.hills at immi.gov.au a écrit :

>> AG : that's indeed the way it works, but only in countries
>> where you won't be chastised for deviating from The One
>> System.
>>
>> And I dare say that in my own country this begins to be a
>> tendency. Wednesday evening, my partner's 1NT opening on Qxx-
>> KJ-Kx-AJ9xxx was reported to the TD, because "by definition, a
>> NT opening shows a balanced hand". He rejected the objection,
>> of course, but it shows how The One Thought works.
>>

> Richard Hills:
>
> Why "of course"?

Because, if my partner had decided this was a balanced hand - which is
very understandable-, the fact that opponents don't agree with this
judgment is irrelevant.

But I intended to put the emphiasis on the word "definition", and say
that it is not the right one to be used here ; "agreement" should have
been used.

> Even in Australia, where Big Brother does not mandate a finally
> final One System To Rule Them All, there is still a requirement
> to Alert a natural 1NT if "its meaning is affected by other
> agreements
AG : and ... do you think we had any "agreement that affected it" ?

> So if Alain's opponents misdefended or misbid because they had
> not been fully informed of the nature of his partner's 1NT
> opening,
AG :youy are wrong, totally wrong. They have to be informed of what the
opening shows, not what my partner had.