[BLML] Nanny McPhee and the Big Bang [SEC=UNOFFICIAL]

richard.hills at immi.gov.au richard.hills at immi.gov.au
Mon May 24 07:34:29 CEST 2010

Nanny McPhee:

"I have five lessons to teach.  What lessons they learn
is entirely up to them."

Robert Frick:

>Declarer comes down to K10x opposite AJx in a suit. He
>leads from hand, thinks, and dummy spontaneously plays
>the jack, covered by the queen. The play of the jack is
>withdrawn, declarer plays the ace and finesses the queen
>on the way back.
>
>Or dummy spontaneously leads a card and the defence
>follows giving declarer useful information.
>
>How about (1) dummy's action is "withdrawn", (2) any
>subsequent actions by the defence are also withdrawn,
>and (3) those action by the defence become AI to the
>defence and UI to declarer.
>
>So any claim by dummy is withdrawn, accepting or not
>accepting the claim is withdrawn, and anything discussed
>with regard to the claim is UI to declarer and AI to the
>defence.

Richard Hills:

It is unclear whether Bob's posting is either

(a) proposing changes to the 2018 Lawbook, or

(b) suggesting "practical" but unLawful uses of the 2007
    Lawbook, or

(c) intended by Bob to be very Lawful interpretations of
    the 2007 Lawbook.

I do not intend to discuss (a) because of de gustibus non
est disputandum.  It is futile to discuss (b).  But as
for (c), I have five lessons to teach.

Lesson One, Read The Fabulous Law Book:

Whether it is declarer or dummy perpetrating an Alcatraz
Coup, in both cases the Director may and should use Law
23 to rectify any damage to the non-offending side.

Lesson Two, Read The Fabulous Law Book:

Law 45D specifies that dummy's unLawfully played card is
not withdrawn if both sides have played to the next
trick.  But, of course, since dummy's unilateral play is
still an infraction, Law 23 may still apply if the
defenders are damaged.

Lesson Three, Read The Fabulous Law Book:

If the defence cards are withdrawn within the Law 45D
time limit, then Law 45D thoughtfully contains a cross-
reference to Law 16D.

Lesson Four, Read The Fabulous Law Book:

A claim is not playing a card (indeed a claim signals
the cessation of playing cards), so Law 45D does not
apply to an alleged "claim" by dummy.

Lesson Five, RTFLB & Read The WBF Laws Committee Minutes:

The 2009 WBF LC minutes firmly established "the principle
that a specific law overrides a general law".

The general Law about dummy's limitations is Law 43.

However, the specific Law 45D over-rides the general Law
43 when it comes resolving the infraction caused by
dummy exceeding her limitations and unilaterally playing
a card.

But there is not any specific Law over-riding Law 43
when it comes to resolving the infraction of an alleged
"claim" by dummy.  Hence dummy cannot "claim", so a non-
claim by dummy cannot be withdrawn, since the "claim"
did not exist in the first place (thus some subsequent
actions by the defence may be UI to their side and AI to
declarer).

Christian Morgenstern, as quoted by David Burn:

[snip]

And he comes to the conclusion:
his mishap was an illusion.
"For", he argues trenchantly,
"what's not permitted cannot be."

Richard Hills:

Ton and Grattan et al are not arguing that the "mishap
was an illusion"; we are instead arguing that the mishap
was not an infraction of the claim Laws, but rather an
infraction of Law 43A1(c).  Note that if the "claiming"
dummy is later the first to observe that a defender has
exposed some or all of her cards, then that defender's
cards no longer become penalty cards due to Law 43B3:

"If dummy after violation of the limitations listed in
A2 is the first to draw attention to a defender's
irregularity, there is no rectification. Play continues
as though no irregularity had occurred. At the end of
play see Law 12B1."

Best wishes

Richard Hills, Aqua 5, workstation W550
Telephone: 02 6223 8453
Email: richard.hills at immi.gov.au
Recruitment Section & DIAC Social Club movie tickets