[BLML] a new sort of claim

Eric Landau ehaa at starpower.net
Fri May 21 15:52:34 CEST 2010

On May 21, 2010, at 3:32 AM, olivier.beauvillain wrote:

> very old english lesson, may be i am wrong :
> may = you are allowed to do so
> can = you physically are able to do it
> ex : you may not kill somebody (your partner???) but you can kill him
> must = you may not do something else : you must let him live
> in french, always "pouvoir" : je ne peux pas tuer mon partenaire,
> mais je
> peux le tuer, oups!!! et je dois le laisser vivre (ouf),
> so dummy may not claim (not allowed) but he can (just has to
> speak ...)

Not clear; indeed, that's the substance of the question at issue.  If
dummy "may not" claim but "can" claim, we are faced with the problem
of adjudicating an illegally made claim, which is a matter for the
laws pertaining to adjudicating claims.  But if dummy (per the laws)
"cannot" claim then nothing dummy says can be taken as a claim,
however closely it might resemble one, and it becomes a matter for
the laws pertaining to improper information being conveyed by dummy
to declarer.

Eric Landau
1107 Dale Drive
Silver Spring MD 20910