[BLML] Mathe-matics [SEC=UNOFFICIAL]

richard.hills at immi.gov.au richard.hills at immi.gov.au
Fri May 21 01:45:53 CEST 2010

Robert Frick:

>I had the impression that other countries tended to have
>younger players.

Richard Hills:

This tendency does not just happen.  Both the Australians
and the Europeans have been actively and enthusiastically
organising youth bridge tournaments for forty years; the
ACBL effort in organising youth bridge tournaments
started much later in a half-hearted stop-and-go fashion.

Robert Frick:

>I am directing a 23.5 table game this afternoon (at $13
>per person). I suppose there might be a few people here
>younger than 60. But much of the "new blood" in bridge
>is people who retire and are learning bridge for the
>first time.
>
>So, as a guess, the money is in designing a game that
>appeals to retired beginners.

Richard Hills:

Last night at the Canberra Bridge Club there were half-
a-dozen teenagers and twenty-somethings playing expert
bridge against expert opponents in a 16-table Swiss
Teams multi-session event with 14-board matches and
table-top computer scoring for only $12 per person.

Robert Frick:

>But to look at this another way, I think most people do
>not enjoy playing against a convention they don't
>understand.

Richard Hills:

But to look at this another way, many Canberran bunnies
note the effectiveness of their opponents' Brown Sticker
Twos, so those Canberran bunnies therefore add such
Brown Sticker Twos to their own system cards.

Best wishes

Richard Hills, Aqua 5, workstation W550
Telephone: 02 6223 8453
Email: richard.hills at immi.gov.au
Recruitment Section & DIAC Social Club movie tickets