[BLML] Star Wars Day [SEC=UNOFFICIAL]

richard.hills at immi.gov.au richard.hills at immi.gov.au
Mon May 17 01:40:21 CEST 2010

Karel, 16th March 2008

>a 3rd example (again local club)
>
>Again a very good player
>
>Bidding goes P P 3D ??
>
>S AJxx
>H KQx
>D -
>C AKJTxx
>
>Good hand - I think almost everyone without exception would
>double.

[snip]

>The actual bid was 6C's !!

Richard Hills, 17th March 2008:

The call I would choose myself opposite a passed partner, since
now the grand slam is unlikely.

Karel, 16th March 2008:

[valid reasons snipped]

>All valid reasons - but none so outstanding/concrete/urgent to
>avoid the normal double

Richard Hills, 17th March 2008:

No, a double is lunacy on this hand with its huge playing
strength.  The diamond void means that there is an unacceptable
risk of pard passing for an inadequate penalty.

If:

(a) I am a very good (albeit optimistic) player, and
(b) I would leap to 6C at the table, then
(c) perhaps the other good player's ethics are beyond reproach?

Richard Hills, 17th May 2010:

Swiss Teams, 14-board matches with WBF victory points
Dlr: East
Vul: Both

I, West, held:

AK876
AQ
AKJ942
---

The bidding at the table went:

WEST      NORTH     EAST      SOUTH
Hills               Quail
---       ---       1NT (1)   Pass(2)
7D (3)    Pass      Pass      Pass

(1) 12-14 hcp balanced, denies a 5-card major.
(2) North-South's team-mates at the other table are both expert
    Australian internationals.

Alain Gottcheiner, 14th May 2010:

>Why do you mention that partners are internationals?

Richard Hills, 17th May 2010:

(3) Since the internationals at the other table were certain to
    bid at least 6D, the break-even point for trying a grand
    slam was 57%.  A more pessimistic expert Australian
    international I played against in the next round argued a
    la Karel that the leap should be avoided, since the grand
    would have no play if East held three small spades.  I
    riposted that East had to have his hcp somewhere.  Sure
    enough, although pard held a grotty 12 hcp with wasted
    values in clubs, he held one of the winning options:

    QJ4
    K9
    Q653
    KJ75

    so at the table 7D was cold.

Alain Gottcheiner, 14th May 2010:

>Sorry if I'm too late. I would transfer to spades, then bid
>diamonds.

Richard Hills, 17th May 2010:

7S was not cold at the table, since South was void in diamonds.

Was my leap to 7D prima facie evidence that I had infracted Law
16C1?

"When a player accidentally receives unauthorized information
about a board he is playing or has yet to play, as by looking
at the wrong hand; by overhearing calls, results or remarks; by
seeing cards at another table; or by seeing a card belonging to
another player at his own table before the auction begins, the
Director should be notified forthwith, preferably by the
recipient of the information."

Or was my leap to 7D a slightly abnormal logical alternative
for my "class of player"?

Eric Landau, 14th May 2010:

[snip of suggested slower science]

>I figure I'm about 95% to wind up in seven of one of my suits.

Richard Hills, 17th May 2010:

In all Canberra Bridge Club tournaments boards are computer
dealt and duplicated across the field.  So when this board was
played in a completely different match the auction showed
similar celerity.

WEST      NORTH     EAST      SOUTH
Van                 Van der
Vucht               Hoek
---       ---       1D (1)    2H (2)
7D (3)    Pass      Pass      Pass

(1) Australian Standard American, a 1NT opening bid was not
    available as it shows 15-18 hcp
(2) A (very) weak jump overcall, holding:

    952
    T76432
    ---
    A862

(3) On this auction, 7D is much more likely to be successful
    than on the information available to me at my table

For what it is worth, the Australian internationals in my
match also faced the handicap of an uncontested auction, and
also faced the handicap of pre-empting themselves with a 1NT
opening bid, so (since the international West was not a
lunatic unilateral overbidder) they reached only 6D.

Best wishes

Richard Hills, Aqua 5, workstation W550
Telephone: 02 6223 8453
Email: richard.hills at immi.gov.au
Recruitment Section & DIAC Social Club movie tickets