[BLML] Star Wars Day

Eric Landau ehaa at starpower.net
Fri May 14 15:41:57 CEST 2010

On May 13, 2010, at 5:56 PM, richard.hills at immi.gov.au wrote:

> "May the Grand Slam Force be with you."
>
> Swiss Teams, 14-board matches with WBF victory points
> Dlr: East
> Vul: Both
>
> The bidding has gone and will go:
>
> WEST      NORTH     EAST      SOUTH
> ---       ---       1NT (1)   Pass(2)
> ?         Pass      ?         Pass
> ?         Pass      ?         Pass
> ?         et cetera, et cetera, et cetera
>
> (1) 12-14 hcp balanced, denies a 5-card major.
> (2) North-South's team-mates at the other table are
>     both expert Australian internationals
>
> You, West, hold:
>
> AK876
> AQ
> AKJ942
> ---
>
> On the hypothesis that North-South pass throughout,
> plan the auction.

Fortunately, my preferred methods work well on this hand; I can bid
2NT, then 3S over partner's minor-suit preference to show a game-
forcing diamond-spade hand.  If partner doesn't raise, I'll try 4H;
if he bids 4S I can try RKCB despite my void.  If he shows good
diamonds and poor spades, I can shoot out 7D with confidence.  Even
if he's totally uncooperative, I should be able to get in a 6C cue as
a 7D try.  I figure I'm about 95% to wind up in seven of one of my
suits.

Eric Landau
1107 Dale Drive
Silver Spring MD 20910