[BLML] Star Wars Day

Eric Landau ehaa at starpower.net
Wed May 12 15:01:30 CEST 2010

On May 12, 2010, at 2:03 AM, richard.hills at immi.gov.au wrote:

> Nigel Guthrie:

> Definitely not.  The phrase used in Law 16B1(b) is "among
> the class of players in question".  One of the definitions
> for "class" in the Pocket Oxford Dictionary is "divided
> according to merit".

A typical ACBL tournament session provides numerous flights and/or
"strata" (fields that play together but are scored separately) with
varying upper masterpoint limits.  (Our weekly Thursday night game
has eight such, from 5 masterpoints to no limit.)  That certainly
sounds like "divided according to merit".  If a player with few
masterpoints, who could play in a lower-level field, chooses to play
"with the big boys", one could argue that his self-determined "class"
is more indicative of his "merit" than his masterpoint total.

Eric Landau
1107 Dale Drive
Silver Spring MD 20910
ehaa at starpower.net