[BLML] Pear(-shape) of Davids Burn

Eric Landau ehaa at starpower.net
Thu Jan 28 12:24:53 CET 2010

On Jan 27, 2010, at 9:00 PM, Robert Park wrote:

> So...a player faithfully alerts and explains that "Partner has been
> know to psych that bid." This throws opponents into thought mode,
> sometimes leading them to act to their disadvantage.
>
> If the frequency of these alerts is, say, 100 times the frequency
> of the psychs, has the player behaved in nefarious fashion...or is
> all in accordance with the law and regulations?
>
> (And what if he says "Goody, goody" to himself before making these
> alerts?)

I can attest (although I'll spare you the war stories) that Bob is
onto something serious.  I trust and assume that what we've been
discussing here is how we disclose psyching tendencies in reply to an
opponent's specific inquiry about a particular call.  I sincerely
hope that no RA would be so foolish as to consider requiring that a
call be proactively alerted merely because "partner has been known to
psych that bid".  At least in an ordinary club game, that would be
handing the psychers the keys to the kingdom.

Eric Landau
1107 Dale Drive
Silver Spring MD 20910
ehaa at starpower.net