[BLML] committes! (day in the life)

Nigel Guthrie nigel.guthrie41 at virginmedia.com
Sat Jan 23 01:46:39 CET 2010

[Nigel]
Milton Work High Card Points are crude and inaccurate but most players
know what they are. Now, after decades of EBU propaganda, we can just
about get our heads around "rule of x". That is about as far as we can
go. Anyway, experts recommend many different ways of evaluating texture,
honour distribution, shape, and so on, so it is futile to write laws
that involve such considerations.

[Eric Landau]
Actually, experts also recommend many different ways of evaluating
high-card strength, Milton Work high-card points being only one of a
bevy of such, before they even get to evaluative adjustments for
texture, honor distribution, shape, and so on, so it is just as
"futile" (I'd have chosen a different word, but Nigel's point is
clear) to write laws involving such first-approximation
considerations as it is to write laws involving adjustments to them.

[Nige2]
Eric and Marvin imply that honour tricks or 7531 or 6421 or whatever are
theoretically superior ways of estimating high card strength. I am happy
to concede they're right. I argue, however, that it doesn't matter, as
far as the law is concerned.

I feel, for example, that disclosure should be simple enough to benefit
Walruses as well as experts.

If you disclose the high card strength range of your 1N opener in Milton
Work HCP -- then the Walrus will understand. The expert may sneer at the
crudeness of the measure -- but he too will understand.

If, instead, you state the range is in Zar points or include
sophisticated adjustments for texture, honour distribution and shape --
then only the expert will be the wiser. As a result, naive Walruses may
misdefend. Surely, we are sufficiently handicapped already without
disclosure laws defining a one-way channel for information?

Obviously, it is OK to impress your opponents with an explanation
involving Zar points or whatever, provided that you also provide a
translation into HCP and shape requirements that they can understand.